Ariel Sin Yu Lee
What is your artistic training and background?
- I started my musical training first as a flutist when I was 12. The wind orchestra of my school was quite established and often participated in competitions, music festivals in Hong Kong and abroad. Then I studied my bachelors in music study with a major in flute in the Chinese University of Hong Kong. I played in different wind orchestras, orchestras and chamber concerts in Hong Kong.
- In the 2nd year of my bachelors study, I started taking singing lessons as a second subject. It was just for fun at the beginning, as I always liked singing and I wanted to sing better. Then with time, my passion on singing grew stronger and stronger. I started to sing in different vocal groups, choirs and concerts in Hong Kong. I also got opportunities to make my opera debut and oratorio debut as a soloist before I left for the Netherlands.
- Under the encouragement of my previous singing teacher in Hong Kong, I auditioned for HKU Utrechts Conservatorium in 2017 and started my masters of singing study in the same year.
What is you most memorable artistic experience?
NKK NXT is my most memorable artistic experience so far, I have learnt so much in this programme on singing, music, theater, production, PR, programming, communication and team work. It is a lot of work but also a lot of fun to create a production together from scratch.
During the process, I also got to know myself better and found that I am more capable than I thought.
- tango concerts with Eduardo Tami
- improvisation with Laye and Ibou etc
- my opera debut with Hong Kong Philharmonic Orchestra, first time working professionally
- my oratorio debut with Cantabile “Messiah” in Hong Kong in 2017, first time singing with an orchestra, we have to sing all choral parts and solo parts by ourselves as a chamber choir from memory
Immix Vocal Ensemble sprung out from NKK NXT, a traineeship organized by the Nederlands Kamerkoor where young singers explore what choir singing is about by creating and producing their own performance. Why did you want to be a part of this program?
The advertisement of this programme was really appealing to me, as I am very interested in learning more about theater making and ensemble singing. I wanted to create a musical theater piece of good intentions with other artistis. I believe that arts is not just for the sake for arts, but to serve humanity.
I also found it a good challenge for myself as I had never tried performing in nor making choral music theater productions. I also did not have a lot of ensemble singing experience. I believe that I could have a lot of personal growth by stepping out of my comfort zone.
What is your superpower in Immix Vocal Ensemble?
Being a lucky star and making everyone sing in Chinese.